Blogger Templates

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Leftover Cranberry Sauce Muffins!

So I mentioned in the cranberry sauce post that I made extra (tweaked with a little cinnamon) and put it in muffins last year.  Well, I had lots of extra sauce this year, so I tried to use some up in muffins :)

Use any basic muffin mix/recipe (see below).  Generally, you fill the muffin tins 2/3 full, so for this, I just filled them 1/3 full, put a little cranberry sauce in the middle of each (about 1 cup total, between 12 muffins), and then topped with the remaining muffin mix.  I then created my own granola topping for the muffins (see below).  You could simply mix the cranberry sauce into the muffin mix, but I wanted the gooey surprise in the center!  I also considered making it in the same way, but in a round cake pan - like a coffee cake (if someone tries it that way, let me know how it goes!).  I drizzled some melted butter with cinnamon and brown sugar mixed in overtop the muffins before serving (I like the more moist texture).  My husband loves these muffins - we hope you do too :)

Basic Muffin Mix
Source: Betty Crocker's Picture Cook Book
Makes 12 medium muffins

2 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c. shortening
1 egg
1 c. milk

1.  Mix first four ingredients together in medium bowl.
2.  Add in remaining ingredients and mix until a smooth batter is formed.
3.  Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full.  (See above for different instructions for this recipe.)
4.  Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown, approximately 20 minutes.

Granola Topping
Could also be baked on its own and eaten atop yogurt, or however you might enjoy it!  
Note: I honestly just used several things I had laying around in my pantry, so feel free to add/remove/change anything based on what you already have.  The muffins in my picture look a little bare, so I am doubling the amount of topping I made for this recipe.
2/3 c. oats
2/3 c. cornflakes, crushed (I used honey-flavored, organic, gluten free cornflakes)
2 tbsp chopped candied almonds
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp honey (I used organic amber honey)
2 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp cranberry juice
2 tbsp fruity yogurt (I used Yoplait Light, strawberry-flavored)

*Just place atop muffins in pan before baking for a crispier topping, or halfway through for a sweeter taste.




No comments:

Post a Comment