Blogger Templates

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes

This is my go-to mashed potato recipe.  It came from my mother-in-law, but I tweaked it a little.  My husband and I made dinner together every year for our dating anniversaries.  This was part of our meal our 1st year!  We were having a caesar salad, so I decided to add some of the parmesan cheese to our potatoes and chicken dish, too.  These were a big hit for Thanksgiving and are a prefect compliment to almost any meal!

Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
4-5 garlic cloves (I use 6 - I like garlic!)
5 c. water
Salt and pepper to taste
Freshly grated parmesan cheese to taste (I think I used about 1/4-1//2 c.)

1.  Place the potatoes, garlic, and water in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil.
2.  Reduce heat.  Cover and allow to simmer for 20 minutes, until tender.
3.  Drain water, reserving 2/3 cup of the starchy cooking liquid.
4.  Add the reserved water back into the potatoes and mash until the desired consistency is reached.
5.  Season with salt, pepper, and cheese.

Serving note: I'm not a gravy fan, so I can't tell you how well they go with gravy, however, most people ate it with gravy on Thanksgiving, so it must have been fine!  I normally drown my potatoes in butter, but I actually think the parmesan eliminates the need for that fattening friend!  (Also, I only put it in the crockpot to keep it warm during our Thanksgiving dinner - you do not actually cook it in a slow cooker.)






No comments:

Post a Comment