Blogger Templates

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Time for Take-Out ... in the Slow Cooker!

As you know, I am not a big fan of Asian foods; however, I do love orange chicken from Panda Express.  So, I have always been on the lookout for a recipe close to what I can buy.  Generally, what I've tried has come out too orangey.  I am sad to say it did again this time, but I was able to fix it.  I found the recipe on Pinterest from a great slow cooker blog and my husband made it with some rice.

Crockpot Orange Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into small chunks
1/3 cup flour
Olive oil
1/2 tbsp salt
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp ketchup
6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
4 tbsp brown sugar
Red pepper flakes, to taste


1.  In a bowl, mix the orange juice, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, and ketchup.  Note: If all diners enjoy a little spice, go ahead and add a tablespoon or so of the red pepper flakes.
2.  Pour the flour in a (separate) small bowl.  Coat the chicken breast chunks in flour and shake off the excess.
3.  Pour a small amount of olive oil in a skillet and brown the flour-covered chicken.  Note: The chicken does not need to be fully cooked since it is going in the crockpot.
4.  Place the cooked chicken pieces into the crockpot.  Cover with your sauce mixture and give the pot a stir.  Cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.
5.  Serve over rice and even add your favorite veggies if desired.  Season with red pepper flakes to desired taste.  

(This recipe is quite acidic because of the amount of orange juice used, so I definitely recommend serving with rice to absorb some of that acid!)

No comments:

Post a Comment