Blogger Templates

Saturday, December 17, 2011

O-H-I-O

Having grown up in central Ohio, candy buckeyes are a favorite holiday treat of mine!  Many know them as "chocolate-covered peanut butter balls," but I find that unacceptable!  They are made to look like real buckeyes (a poisonous nut).  We like to make them for big (Ohio State) Buckeye games, but they are also a Christmas tradition for many.  You won't see a holiday bake sale in Ohio without them!  When I was little, a lady from my church would have me over every year to make buckeyes before Christmas.  They are pretty much my favorite thing in the world.  I have been sick all week and peanut butter seems to be something my stomach can handle - and I have been craving buckeyes!!!  I was finally feeling well enough today to get up and make these bad boys!

Ingredients (note: vanilla not pictured)
Best-Ever Buckeyes!
Makes 4 dozen

18oz peanut butter (in my opinion, JIF creamy is the only way to go)
3.5 cups confectioner's (powdered) sugar
1 stick butter, melted
1 tbsp vanilla
12oz milk chocolate chips
1/4 bar of paraffin wax (chopped or shaved for quicker melting)

Texture of peanut butter mixture
(yes, I used a red bowl on purpose -
 GO BUCKS!)
1.  Mix peanut butter, sugar (begin with about 2 cups and keep adding until it begins to appear dry and
almost crumbly), butter, and vanilla together in a bowl until well blended.  Optional: Refrigerate for about 30-60 minutes to make the mixture easier to mold.
2.  Roll peanut butter mixture into 1" balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.  Place sheet in refrigerator or freezer while preparing the chocolate to help the balls harden for easier dipping.
3.  Melt chocolate and wax in a double boiler.  Remove peanut butter balls from freezer.
4.  Using a toothpick (or longer wooden skewers) pierce each ball, one by one, and dip into the melted chocolate, swirling until 3/4 coated.  You want to leave some peanut butter showing at the top to give the appearance of a real buckeye.  Place each ball back onto the parchment to
harden.
5.  Allow to cool in the refrigerator.  Serve chilled.
Peanut butter balls!

In my pictures, I used my finger to smooth the peanut butter and remove the toothpick hole to make them look more like the nut.  These make great gifts - you could individually wrap them, or layer them in a festive tin.  No time to make them before Christmas?  No worries!  You can enjoy them on January 2nd as you cheer on the Buckeyes in the Gator Bowl :)
ENJOY!!

ready to share!!
the finished product

No comments:

Post a Comment