Blogger Templates

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Avocado Chicken Salad

I do not like mayonnaise.  Thus, I normally am not a big fan of mayo-based salads (pasta salad, potato salad, chicken salad); however, there have been a few chicken salad dishes I've liked in my life (especially Jenny Craig - weird, I know, but it's tasty).  Anyway, I came across the idea of making an avocado chicken salad and from making the Zucchini Enchilada Boats, I needed a way to use up some of the same ingredients anyway.  Bonus - it's pretty healthy!  I replaced any mayo with a bit of greek yogurt.  Avocado is a little fattening, but it's good MUFAs and the chiles help speed your metabolism!  As you know, I don't really measure, but I'll try to give approximate amounts.

Ingredients

2 cups cooked shredded chicken*
1 avocado, flesh removed and smashed
2 serrano chiles, finely diced**
1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp green onion, chopped
2 tbsp plain greek yogurt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp kosher salt
juice of 2 small limes***
salt & pepper to taste

Directions
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined.

Serving Options:
The first time, I ate it in a wrap - sundried tomato tortilla, the chicken salad, mixed baby greens, a sprinkle of feta cheese, crushed red pepper, and a dab of pesto (my recent obsession) - just because that's what I had on hand.

I think it would be great it a whole wheat wrap with the addition of diced tomatoes and red onion.

It could also be served with pita or regular corn chips for a party.

Toss on top of a green salad with a hard crumbled cheese and cherry tomatoes.


__________
*I place chicken breasts, frozen or thawed/fresh, into the crockpot with some chicken stock and let cook 6-8 hours on low; then shred.
** Use less or omit if you are not a spicy fan
***I would probably normally just say 1 normal lime, but because of the current Mexican lime shortage, they are tiny right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment